This seems a bit redundant:
My blog is called ,"The JOY Project". So why am I talking about JOY again?
Because this time of year, choosing JOY, is particularly difficult!
We are busy, harried, distracted, annoyed, tired, and irritated. But I don't think we want to be.
This morning I was in a grumpy mood. I was sore, moving slow, tired, and ruminating about my "to do" list for the day. I worked my way to Costco at 9:30 am. (crazy at Christmas time, I know!). As I got in line for pictures like 15 other people, God did a little tugging at my heart. I took a lingering look at the lady behind the counter in the Photo Dept. She looked worn and exhausted! The lady in line in front of me was bossy, impatient, and acted like the gal behind the counter should be her slave. Well right there in the middle of Costco, God convicted me. This woman just got to work for the day. It was the BEGINNING of her day, and it was already a mess. In that moment God gave me some compassion and a little guilt for my attitude, and I decided my goal was to encourage her.
I walked up, tried to give her a big smile, and asked her "How are you holding up through all this?". She looked at me and said "You are the first person this month who has asked me that, thank you". Wow...thank you God for pushing me to stop thinking about myself and think of someone else who that in that moment had a need greater than mine. And you know what happened? I was blessed. We had the nicest chat, and I felt like we were "kindred spirits" by the time I left. Now she may not remember my face, my name, or my order, BUT we were two human beings who needed a "non-hurried, non-negative" Christmas moment and we gave that to one another.
It reminded me of my favorite Christmas movie, "The Little Drummer Boy". I don't know exactly why this old, simple movie gets to me every time. I believe it's the reminder that God wants ALL of me. My fears, my joys, my challenges, my anger, my losses, and my tears. But most importantly He wants my heart. He was in that manger for ME.....for ME!
My precious students know I love to use visualizations. Recently we talked about picturing ourselves next to the manger looking into the eyes of this little babe who looks into our souls with acceptance, love, and HOPE.
A Newborn King to see...
Our finest gifts we bring....to lay before the King
Little baby....
I am a poor boy too...
I have no gift to bring....
That's fit to give a King.....
Mary nodded....
I played my drum for Him,
I played my BEST for Him.....
Then.....He smiled at me, pa rum pa pum pum......
He smiles at me. Wow!! It brings tears to my eyes! Even when I am crabby, frustrated, or feel I have nothing to offer Him, I am enough. My heart is enough. My gift to Him is enough. To me, that is overwhelming to consider. I am enough to bring a gift to the King of Kings, the reason for Christmas, the source of real joy.
Let's remember that this Christmas. Joy is not something you conjure up with a Christmas carol or a present wrapped in fancy paper. It is not the decorations we spend time on or the parties we attend. It's the infinite, miraculous love of our gracious God who looks at us with love, grace and mercy and accepts our humble, simple gifts to Him and replaces our broken hearts with unsurpassing JOY.




Love it! Amazing how love works...when we give it, we actually get more of it back!
ReplyDeleteThanks Chuck! Have a blessed day! :-)
Delete