A little over a month ago I got a tattoo. For about 10 years I have wanted to, but I just kept chickening out. Since my journey with Multiple Sclerosis began I have chosen daily to fight hard for hope and joy as my strength physically diminishes. Some days the challenge is a bit overwhelming. I keep signs and sayings around my house with my favorite words to remind me what to anchor my heart to when I am tempted to be overwhelmed with discouragement and fear. Joy, hope, faith, strength, love...these are all words that have meaning to me. As I was trying to decide what to permanently affix to my body that would have deep meaning for me I looked around at all these words and realized that my Joy is anchored in faith, hope and love, and that is what gives me true strength. So I now permanently have the word "Joy' written on my ankle with the "y" shaped like a rope in the shape of an "s" for strength winding through an anchor made up of a cross and heart. So every time I look at it, it reminds me of what I daily choose to be anchored to. And that gives me hope.
What are you anchored to?
Definition of anchor: A source of security or stability.
A point of support. To keep hold and be firmly fixed. Free Dictionary
This definition is crucial. Our anchor must be capable of keeping us secure. It must be a source of support and stability. And it must be a constant to help us to stand firm and fix our eyes on hope.
Our anchor of hope cannot lie in another person. Not a spouse, a pastor, or even a good friend. Hope can't be found in politics, job success, money, health or even in our intellect. None of these can give us the security, the stability, and the support to remain fixed and strong. Especially when the storm comes. If you are anchored in your hope to another person and they let you done, then what? If your hope is anchored to a job and you lose it, then what? If you are anchored to your hope in your spouse for security and then you have conflict, then what? If your hope is anchored in your intellect, and then something happens that rocks your world, then what? If your hope is anchored to your health and disease hits you, then what?
Friends, we need to get a handle on what we choose to be anchored to. Or when the storm comes we will sink. A sailor at sea being tossed about for fear of his life must trust the anchor he possesses to help save him. If the anchor is weak, it will not save him from the storm. Our sense of security, hope, and safety is directly related to what our heart is anchored to and the strength of that anchor.
Hebrews 6:19 says "We have this hope as an anchor for our souls, firm and secure. It cannot break down under whatever pressure bears upon it. " Amplified Bible
I don't know about you, but God is that hope I am choosing to be anchored to. And my soul holds to the promise above that my anchor will be firm, secure and not break down under the pressure that may bear upon me. In that anchor I find my strength. In that anchor I find joy, faith, hope and love.
Praying the same for you..Deb :)


Love this Debbie!! So true.
ReplyDelete