I had a very interesting experience today. I was at Costco to get gas. This place is always a interesting lesson in human behavior, impatience, and manners. I pulled into the long line, expecting a bit of a wait especially because gas prices are so high. Within minutes I can hear an argument break out between 2 people. One man was mad because the woman in front of him didn't park straight enough for his car to be able to get around when he was done. She was defensive and the words began to fly. Then a third woman across the way chimes in and it gets even more heated.
Good grief people.
I drove away with a sick feeling in my stomach. I felt a little discouraged with the state of humanity. Experiences like this can cause us to perpetually expect the worst in people and be in a constant state of pessimism. I don't like the way that feels.
And then something happened....
I was heading out of the parking lot and saw a homeless guy with a sign saying "I just need to feed my family". Immediately my heart was softened and I looked around to see what I had. I only has $3 and a granola bar to give him. I thought "is this enough. Will it make any difference?". I pulled over, rolled down my window and he came over with a huge, genuine smile on his face. I apologized it wasn't more.
It didn't matter....
He looked at me with pure joy and gratitude like I had given him so much more. We chatted for a few minutes, and I asked him a few questions to make sure he was safe and had a way to get back to his family. We smiled at each other, really, truly smiled.... and then I drove away with complete joy. He touched my heart.
With 3 dollars and a granola bar, God restored my hope in kindness and in humanity.
I didn't learn my lesson from the 3 people in their designer clothes and fancy cars. The people who were more concerned with what they were "entitled to" or what they "deserved". The people who needed to be "right" and win the argument and that cared more about their "stuff and their schedule" than the other human in front of them. I learned my lesson from someone who found joy and gratitude in a small human kindness and was happy to give me an incredible smile in return.
I will take that incredible smile over the "stuff" any day.
God help us to be kinder to each other. May we all be better humans....
Blessings,
Deb :)


No comments:
Post a Comment