The ugly, very bad, too common, gets us every time, red flag, 11 letter word is.....................................
DISTRACTION!!!!!
Distraction. Distraction. Oh how it gets us every time. I have become more and more convinced of this. As my life gets simpler and slower due to MS and I become more of an "observer" of people rather than a participant I find myself more aware when people around me are talking about what stresses them out and they seem, well......distracted. I sometimes feel like the cartoon person sitting on a park bench with everyone running by me in a high speed blur. And you know what? It makes me so sad. We are so distracted.
I look around and hear people talk about the latest diet craze, the latest miracle vitamin, the latest clothing fad, the latest self help guru, the latest skin care line, the latest workout wear we "have" to have, the latest juicy entertainment news, the latest plastic surgery options, the obsession with living longer instead of living better, medical hypes, social media streams and viral videos, gas or hybrid cars, environmental issues, celebrity scandals, politics, religion, intellectualizing, opinions, and on and on and on....blah, blah blah, blah!!!! Ughhh!!! Can you feel the ulcer? :)
Does this resonate with anyone? Do you find yourself trying to listen to a friend but you aren't really listening? Your mind is on a thousand other things? You think "shoot, what did she just say"? I am embarrassed to say that happens to me more that I care to admit. Distractions. Are we present, but yet absent?
Dear ones, we are missing life. We are so caught up in all the distractions that become over-inflated in their importance that we are missing out on the really important things. I don't want to look back on my life after another 20 years or so and realize I could have spent my time better and refused to be owned by the things the world told me to be obsessed with and distracted by.
Dear ones, we are missing life. We are so caught up in all the distractions that become over-inflated in their importance that we are missing out on the really important things. I don't want to look back on my life after another 20 years or so and realize I could have spent my time better and refused to be owned by the things the world told me to be obsessed with and distracted by.
Now bear with me please. I am not saying these things don't have value. Many of these topics are very, very important. But aren't we giving the chaos of distraction just a little more value than it deserves? Are we missing out on life and human interaction because we are so easily "sold" by the media and the latest fads and being distracted by them? There are only so many hours in every day for us to use well. How are we spending those hours? Do we focus more on the "things" and "issues" of this world than the important people in our lives?
I love this little cartoon from Someecards:
This cartoon is so true. We are so distracted that we miss out on moments and people and then wonder why we have anxiety. It actual causes a constant sense of falling short. Our friendships and marriages lack depth because the 'stuff,' the fads, and the distractions dominate our time and our minds and even our conversations. Therefore we lose our innate ability to be aware and to be in the moment and our relationships suffer. We feel in a fog of constant distraction and over time it kills relationships. We end up more empty.
So what's the good news? Well, the more we are aware of what distracts us and the symptoms it causes in our lives, the more we can fight it! Let's be honest with ourselves and make some changes. Let's pay attention to those things which so easily distract us and choose to be present, not absent. I heard a quote that says "I like to hang out with people who make me forget to look at my phone".
"God help me to be that kind of friend, mom, and wife. Help me be a good listener, set aside distractions, and intentionally surround myself with others who will do the same."
"God help me to be that kind of friend, mom, and wife. Help me be a good listener, set aside distractions, and intentionally surround myself with others who will do the same."
What distracts you? Will you join me in saying no? No to the distraction of the latest and greatest when it comes before the people you love? No to the distraction of empty popularity and yes to depth and authenticity? No to the things that make you feel MORE suffocated and anxious and YES to the things that bring you hope, peace and joy. I am going to try harder. I'll pray for you, will you pray for me?
Oh, gotta go, hubbie walked in and I don't want to be distracted. I want to give him my full attention. :)
Love and hugs,
Deb
"Set your mind on things above." Col 3:2
"Set your mind on things above." Col 3:2



No comments:
Post a Comment