Friday, June 22, 2012

Witnessing beauty

   


     What an amazing week! As I sit here in the back of my minivan on the road home from Colorado, the two words that keep coming to my mind are "witnessing beauty".  I have had the privilege of "witnessing beauty" in a  multitude of different ways in the
past 6 days.  I am touched by how God uses a variety of ways to show us the beauty all around us.

    The first beauty:  The reason I came to Colorado was to be a part of my goddaughter's wedding. I held her in my arms the day she was born, as I did with all my other nieces and nephews over the years. I remember the prayers I had for her as a child, watching her grow, experiencing life with its ups and downs, seeing her commit her life to God along with her family. And now, to watch her choose a Godly, loving, caring man and be wed is truly "witnessing beauty"!  Also to watch family and friends enjoy each moment even in the midst of typical wedding stresses, was precious to watch and be a part of. We all brought out the best in each other.

      The second beauty was watching the grace and courage of my aunt and uncle as they evacuated their home because of these horrific fires in the mountains of Colorado. At the moment they have been evacuated for 6 days and still are not completely sure whether their house  is still standing.  They loaded up their RV and cars with all their most precious possessions and headed down the mountain. The "beauty" that I witnessed was their amazing attitude, their courage, and their desire to enjoy every  moment of their granddaughter's wedding. Their attitude reminded all of us that we can truly find beauty even in the very worst of situations. 
     The third beauty was just experiencing the extremes in weather and in the variety of the landscape from Colorado to Utah to Arizona to California.  We went from 100 degrees to 65 degrees from Denver to Vail. From smoky, hot and dry, to beautiful green, lush landscape. Then off to the the red rock formations of Utah, watching river rafters floating down the rivers. Then through Vegas, and on to Southern California and the Pacific Ocean. Amazing! Our world is full of beauty.



     Witnessing Beauty......we can find beauty in anything!  It reminds me of how God feels about each one of us.   We can feel at our most ugly. We can feel guilty, scared, full of shame or regret.....and our amazing God reaches down, lifts our face in His hands and says "I can make something beautiful, have faith in Me." 



Witness some beauty around you.........  
If you look for it, you will find it.

Deb :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment