Monday, March 2, 2015

Persevere. Taking advantage of our stubborn nature

                                               
                                                  What does it mean to persevere?
         
             30 years ago  I delivered an address to my graduating class from high school.  Standing in front of my peers and faculty was terrifying. Part of my speech was the famous words of Winston Churchill, "Never, never, never give up."   Looking back I probably picked that phrase just to get me through the speech.  But the words have stayed with me.  Now when I see them or hear them used in a speech I smile to myself.  Like all things in life, hind sight is a wise teacher. There have been many times I have needed to remind myself to never give up.  But what does that mean?  

     The underlying theme of his famous words is really the beautiful concept of "perseverance".

    What does perseverance look like in a person?  Determination?  Willfulness?  Maybe stubbornness?  Well maybe that stubbornness we sometimes try to eradicate from our personality can serve a greater purpose.   If used correctly it is not something to get rid of, but something to embrace when the tough times come and we need to persevere.  Sometimes it is a true gift from God.  
             
                                      "Perseverance is stubbornness with a purpose."
     
*Mirriam Webster dictionary defines perseverance as " the quality that allows someone to continue trying to do something even though it is difficult".   

    Well I don't know about you, but I want to be stubborn with a purpose.  I deeply desire this inner quality to continue to try even when it is difficult.  Some days I fail.  Some days I am too tired to do anything but take a teeny step forward.  But still in my heart I want to try. 

Lately I have been a bit overwhelmed with the people I know going through extraordinary circumstances. Illness, loss, cancer, death, financial challenges, or just seemingly never ending bad luck.  My heart begins to break, it feels heavy,  I begin to question God, and I begin to doubt......

But then.........

  ....But then I see my fellow "stubborn" friends trying to persevere.  My fellow overcomers.   Then I think that maybe that is part of the lesson.  We are not exempt from difficulty.   Should we be?   Since the beginning of time lifes challenges have existed.  And together we have learned  how to persevere and how to help each other.  To not be alone.  To inspire each other.  To point each other to hope, to joy, and to try to defy the odds.  

     Last night I watched "The Theory of Everything" with my family. It is the story of Steven Hawking and his journey.   I am grateful my disease is not ALS,  and my heart aches for those who suffer with it.  But I  can certainly relate to the deteriorating effects of MS, my body slowly disappearing, the invisible symptoms no one sees, and the fears and family challenges it creates. It is a challenge no matter what you face to be constantly committed to fight daily and not give up.  I was inspired and reminded that there is so much more that our human spirit can overcome.   Even when modern medicine tells us otherwise.  And even when it doesn't end the way we hope, even if it is painful, we can still be an example of "stubbornness with purpose".  Sometimes that example may be in this life, and sometimes it's left in the life we leave behind to inspire the next generation.  That becomes a legacy. 

    I know that I want to make a difference.  I know that my "purpose of life is a life of purpose".   And if I need  to be stubborn and fight to persevere then I am going to try.  So I will embrace my God-given stubbornness and use it for the right reasons.   I will surround myself with others who are on the same journey to fight this battle of life with its up and downs, successes and failures.  We need each other.  We LEARN from each other. Will you join me?  Will you be "stubborn with purpose" with me?  I plan on finishing well, still fighting.  Will you fight with me?  Can we persevere together? ;-) Would love your inspiring thoughts.....


***And remember....never, never. never give up.  God is with you wherever you go! 
Joshua 1:9



Hugs always, Deb :-)




Me and my girl xo






For my MS blog followers, make sure you are getting the help you need: We all need each other.  
Link for National MS Society:nmssociety.org 

No comments:

Post a Comment